CHER Grant Program
CHER Grant Program
The Center for Health Communication launched the Communication for Health, Empathy, and Resilience (CHER) grant program in Fall 2017 with the goal to promote collaboration between Moody College of Communication and Dell Medical School faculty in their evidence-based health communication scholarship, education, and community involvement endeavors.
Following a competitive review process, grants will be awarded to teams of faculty and students to conduct pilot projects investigating communication’s key role in promoting wellness, creating a culture of empathy among healthcare providers, and enabling people to resist and recover from illness or injury.
TIMELINE FOR 2018-2019 CHER CYCLE
- Mid-September 2018: Initial cycle announcement circulated
- September 29, 2018: Visit the Health Communication connection lounge at Dell Med’s “Radical Collaboration: Connecting Health Researchers Across UT Austin” event to ask questions and learn more about CHER
- October 10, 2018: Speed-networking event for prospective Moody and Dell applicants, Dell Med Board Room (HLB 5.201), 2:30-3:30pm
- November 2, 2018: Deadline for Letters of Interest (see template)
- December 3, 2018: Applicants notified, finalists invited to prepare full proposal and presentations
- January 9, 2019: Finalist presentations, CMA 5.136 (LBJ Room)
- January 25, 2019: Awards announced
- February 1, 2019: Current cycle funding period starts (projects must have IRB approval before funds released)
- Summer 2019: Grantee meetings with CHER panel to discuss progress, trouble-shoot, etc.
- Early Fall 2019: Current cycle “mid-term” progress reports due to CHER grant program administrators; financial progress report provided by CHC to grantees
- Early Spring 2020: Current cycle “wrap up” progress reports due to CHER grant program administrators; financial progress report provided by CHC to grantees
- May 31, 2020: Current cycle funding period ends and final reports due
Download the CHER Grant Program details document, including overview, eligibility, timeline, and letter of interest template.
2017 – 2018 CHER Grantees
CHER awarded approximately $20,000 in the inaugural 2017-18 grant cycle for three projects. The below articles provide an overview of the program and profiles our three inaugural grantees.