Internal Transfer Eligibility

Prospective RTF Students

Student Advising Office | M-F 8AM - 5PM 512.471.1553



You can apply for internal transfer/major change with the Moody College during the posted application periods. To be considered for admission you should meet all of the following requirements:

  1. You have not yet completed your fourth long semester at UT Austin;
  2. You will have no more than 60 hours of coursework completed in-residence at UT Austin by the end of the semester in which you are applying**;
  3. If you have unsuccessfully applied twice to transfer internally to the Moody College, you cannot apply a third time;
  4. If you are requesting to change a current major you must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the Moody College of Communication, and a minimum 2.0 overall UT GPA.
  5. If you are requesting to add a second major (or change their current second major) you must have 30 hours in-residence and minimum UT and Communication GPAs of 2.75.
  6. Students who apply to the Advertising or Public Relations major must also complete ADV 318J, "Introduction to Advertising and Integrated Brand Management", and earn a B or better. You may be currently enrolled in the course at the time you apply. (Any passing grade, including CR, is acceptable for students who took ADV 318J in Spring 2020; a COVID CR earned in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 is acceptable for applicants for Fall 2021 and later.)
  7. All applicants must complete the semester in which they applied.

GPA and coursework eligibility are confirmed after grades post for the semester (in early January for September applications; in late May for February applications). If you do not meet the requirements at that time, your application will be denied. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

*Exceptions may only be granted for students in extenuating circumstances; we may contact ineligible applicants after the application closes to seek more information, if needed. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the University's eligibility limitations. 

If you have already earned an undergraduate degree from the Moody College of Communication and want to return for an additional Communication degree, please complete the Information Session module and then meet with the Internal Transfer Advisor. You may not use the online internal transfer application.