Thank you for your interest in the Moody College of Communication. All prospective graduate student applicants should contact the department with which they wish to study. The Graduate Coordinators and Advisors can assist you with the application process.
Dual Masters Programs
The Dual Masters Program is structured so that students can earn two master's degrees simultaneously in approximately three academic years. The Moody College of Communication (COM) offers dual M.A. programs which may include a specialization in Advertising, Communication Studies, Journalism, and Radio-Television-Film. Students must select a major in one of these four departments. Degrees are awarded when the required course work in both areas is completed. In choosing one of these departments for a major, the student in the joint program will find a diversified graduate program that can be adapted to the student's individual needs and interests.
A student interested in any joint degree program should apply through the Graduate and International Admissions Center. Like all other graduate applicants, the student is responsible for submitting any additional information required by the Graduate Studies Committee for each program.
The Moody College offers the following Dual Masters Programs:
- Advertising / Business Administration (ADV/MBA)
- Advertising / Public Affairs (ADV/LBJ)
- Communication Studies / Business Administration (CMS/MBA)
- Communication Studies / Latin American Studies (CMS/LAS)
- Communication Studies / Public Affairs (CMS/LBJ)
- Journalism / Business Administration (JOU/MBA)
- Journalism / Global Policy Studies (JOU/GPS)
- Journalism / Latin American Studies (JOU/LAS)
- Journalism / Middle Eastern Studies (JOU/MES)
- Journalism / Public Affairs (JOU/LBJ)
- Radio-Television-Film / Business Administration (RTF/MBA)
- Radio-Television-Film / Latin American Studies (RTF/LAS)
- Radio-Television-Film / Middle Eastern Studies (RTF/MES)
- Radio-Television-Film / Public Affairs (RTF/LBJ)
- Radio-Television-Film / Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies (RTF/REENIC)
Jesse H. Jones Fellowships
The Moody College of Communication annually awards the Jesse H. Jones Endowed Centennial Fellowships to graduate students who possess exceptional ability in advertising, public relations, communication sciences and disorders, journalism, radio-television-film, or communication studies. The fellowships are awarded each Spring for the following academic year. The fellowships are open to masters or doctoral students enrolled in a graduate program within the Moody College. Applicants must be seeking funding for the second or subsequent year of their programs. Preference is given to candidates with a strong, interdisciplinary track record.
Fellowship awards are based on demonstrated competence in the field of study, as reflected in the student's research and/or creative activities. Academic achievement, including the student's GPA, is also considered.
A recipient of the fellowship must be enrolled full-time in a graduate program within the Moody College of Communication, and in residence at The University of Texas at Austin during the period of the award. A student may only be awarded a Jesse H. Jones Fellowship once during their graduate career.
Award Period, Benefits, and Expectations
Each Spring, the Dean's Office announces the recipients of the fellowship for the following academic year. The fellowship stipend is $6,500 total. The stipend is granted in two parts: one half in the Fall semester and one half in the Spring semester. The College also covers tuition and required fees for the Fall and Spring semesters. An in-state tuition waiver, when needed, also comes with this fellowship.
Fellowship recipients must come to the Dean's Office, BMC 5.312, to sign an acceptance form, verify name and eid, and arrange for distribution of funds.
Each Jesse H. Jones Fellow must give a brief presentation of his/her research in the Fall semester. These presentations are open to Moody College graduate students and give a vision of the fellow's work. Presentations are given during a lunch hosted by the Dean's Office.
- Students can apply for a Jesse Jones Fellowship by completing the Moody College of Communication's Scholarship Application. Complete application details are available.
- Application deadlines: The application for the scholarships will be open late January to early March. All materials (the online application, three references, and a CV) must be received by the deadline. The applicants will be notified of the results by April 30.
- Please note that students who complete this online scholarship application will also be considered for College scholarships.
- Application link: http://moody.utexas.edu/students/scholarships
Jesse H. Jones Fellowship Recipients
Jones Fellows, 2016- 2017
- Advertising and Public Relations- Nancy Brinson
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Jingjing Guan
- Communication Studies - Elizabeth Glowacki
- Journalism - Victor Garcia
Jones Fellows, 2015- 2016
- Advertising and Public Relations- Amanda Mabry
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Pak Wing Lam
- Communication Studies - Jessica Lynn Ford
- Journalism - Magdalena Saldana Villa
- Radio-TV-Film - Colleen Montgomery
Jones Fellows, 2014- 2015
- Advertising - Sara E. Champlin
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Yu-Fu Chen
- Communication Studies - Jenna N. Hanchey
- Journalism - Shannon McGregor
- Radio-TV-Film - Juan P. Gonzalez
Jones Fellows, 2013 - 2014
- Advertising - Kyung (Kacy) Kim
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Casey Taliancich
- Communication Studies - Stephanie Dailey
- Journalism - Lei Guo
- Radio-TV-Film - Stuart Davis
Jones Fellows, 2012 - 2013
- Advertising - Eunice Kim
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Geoffrey Coalson
- Communication Studies - Tiara Naputi
- Journalism - Summer Harlow
- Radio-TV-Film - Timothy Edwards
Jones Fellows, 2011 - 2012
- Advertising - Mi-Hyun Kang
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Michelle Hsieh
- Communication Studies - Kristin Stimpson
- Journalism - Yonghwan Kim
- Radio-TV-Film - Jacqueline Vickery
Jones Fellows, 2010 - 2011
- Advertising - Heather M. Schulz
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Kai J. Greene
- Communication Studies - Clariza Ruiz De Castilla
- Journalism - Jaime Loke
- Radio-TV-Film - John S. Moore
Jones Fellows, 2009 - 2010
- Advertising - Kevin Thomas
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Karin Boerger
- Communication Studies - Erik Green
- Journalism - Sebastian Valenzuela
- Radio-TV-Film - Kristen Warner
Jones Fellows, 2008 - 2009
- Advertising - Yeo Jung Kim
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Jie Yang
- Communication Studies - Brittany Peterson
- Journalism - Sebastian Valenzuela
- Radio-TV-Film - Michael Wilson
Jones Fellows, 2007 - 2008
- Advertising - Laura Bright
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Connie Summers
- Communication Studies - James Roberts
- Journalism - Amy Zerba
- Radio-TV-Film - Marianela Vega-Oroza
Jones Fellows, 2006 - 2007
- Advertising - Gracieli Scremin
- Communication Sciences and Disorders - Namhee Kim
- Communication Studies - Jennifer Asenas
- Journalism - Sharon Meraz
- Radio-TV-Film - Jean Lauer