Moody Faculty Awards
Congratulations to the Moody College’s COVID TONIC Award winners:
Ben Bays, Mirza Lugo-Neris, Dina Inman Ramgolam, Kate West
The TONIC award program recognizes UT faculty who demonstrated extraordinary creativity in their rapid innovation and transformation of hybrid and online instruction due to the COVID pandemic. These awards reward excellence in the creation of impressive pedagogical resources or systems with broad impact and long-lasting influence.
Minette "Meme" Drumwright is the director of the interdisciplinary Communication and Leadership degree program. She is an associate professor with joint appointments in the Stan Richards School of Advertising and the Business, Government and Society program in the McCombs School of Business. Drumwright has been recognized both within Moody and at the university-wide level for her contributions to undergraduate teaching. In this Spotlight, she shares her approaches to mentoring students.
Each semester, a team of graduate Assistant Instructors in Communication Studies sets out to teach CMS306M – Professional Communication Skills. The course is required for all Communication Studies majors and all tracks within the major. As a course that carries the Ethics Flag, CMS306M also draws students around campus. During some semesters, depending on undergraduate enrollment, the team can have as many as ten AIs, with each person teaching two sections.
Teaching and Learning in the News
Inclusive Teaching Practices
- 10 Ways to Tackle Linguistic Bias in Our Classrooms
- Meet Them Where They Are: Furthering Your Own Cultural Humility and Responsive Teaching
- How to Structure Your Online Class for Inclusion, Part 1
- How to Structure Your Online Class for Inclusion: Two Principles for Fostering Engagement, Part 2
- Strategies for Antiracist and Decolonized Teaching
- Microresistance as a Way to Respond to Microaggressions on Zoom and in Real Life
Online Teaching & Learning
- Virtual Office Hours Get More Students in the Door. Will They Be Here to Stay?
- 5 Activity-based Learning Principles for the Digital Classroom
- Facilitating Effective Collaboration in Virtual Student Teams
- Leveraging Bloom’s Taxonomy to Elevate Discussion Boards in Online Courses
- Don’t Spam Your Students and Other Practical Communication Tips
21 Ways to Structure an Online Discussion (series)
Effective Teaching Strategies (series)
- Part One of Practical Mid-Career Teaching Reflections: Early Week Classroom Activities
- Part Two of Practical Mid-Career Teaching Reflections: Classroom Activities Throughout the Semester
- Part Three of Practical Mid-Career Teaching Reflections: Assignments
- Part Four of Practical Mid-Career Teaching Reflections: Guest Speakers and Tutorials
- Part Five of Practical Mid-Career Teaching Reflections: Grading and Further Reading