For students under the 2018-2020 catalog
This minor requires 18 semester hours of coursework. Nine hours must be taken at the upper-division level, and at least nine hours must be taken in residence. All courses must be taken for a letter grade, unless the course is only offered on the pass/fail basis. Only courses with a C- or better (or CR for courses offered only on a pass/fail basis) will be counted toward the minor. Students in Moody College may declare only one minor and must apply for their minor/certificate before they have completed 65% of their degree requirements.
Students must fulfill the following requirements:
||Communication Internship (Topic 2: Social Change Internship)
|Fifteen additional hours to be chosen from the following:
||Integrated Communication for Nonprofit Organizations
||Health Communication: Messages, Campaigns, and the Media
||Public Communication of Science and Techology
||Multicultural Issues in Advertising and Public Relations (any topic)
||Communication and Social Change
||Contemporary Representation in Media
||Minorities and the Media
||Reporting the World: A Critical Examination of the United States News Media
||Gender and the News
||Journalism, Society, and the Citizen Journalist
||Communicating Social Change
||Social Activism in Film
||Topics in Global Media (Topic 8: Development Communication and Social Change)
||Topics in Media and Society (Topic 13: Activist Media)
Students must petition the faculty committee in advance if they wish to substitute another course to use toward any requirement.
In addition, the following are University-wide rules regarding minors:
- The minor must be completed in conjunction with an undergraduate degree at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Minors must include a minimum of six hours of upper division coursework.
- A student may not earn a minor in the same field of study as his or her major
- At least nine of the hours required for the minor must include coursework not used to satisfy the requirements of the student’s major; this includes courses in non-major departments that are cross-listed with courses offered within the student’s major department. However, courses in the minor may fulfill other degree requirements such as general education requirements or required elective hours.
- Transcript recognition is awarded at the time of undergraduate degree completion.
- Select "Communication" as the School
- Click "Search"
- Find "COMMUNICATION AND SOCIAL CHANGE" and apply!
The Communication and Social Change Minor is open to all undergraduate majors at The University of Texas at Austin.
Students in Moody College may declare only one minor and must apply for their minor/certificate before they have completed 65% of their degree requirements.