Graduation Information

Applying to graduate with an undergraduate degree

All graduating students must apply to graduate in order to earn their degree. How to apply to graduate will vary depending on how you intend to complete your final degree requirements:

1. Apply Online
If you enrolled in-residence at UT during your final semester, you must apply to graduate online beginning the first class day of the semester in which you plan to graduate. You must be registered for all of your remaining degree requirements before you may apply.

click here to APPLY TO GRADUATE available June 3 - July 16 (11:59 pm Central Time)

Please allow 2 weeks for our office to process your request. Graduating students can log on to the Graduation Application (above) at any time to check the status of their application.


2. Apply In-Absentia
If you are NOT enrolled in-residence at UT during the semester in which you will complete all your remaining coursework,you need to apply to graduate in-absentia via your academic advisor. He/she will provide you with a paper application that needs to be signed and submitted to the Registrar’s office. All financial bars must be cleared before in-absentia paperwork is provided. You cannot apply to graduate in-absentia online.

If you have any questions about applying to graduate, please see your academic advisor.

Graduating with Honors

Highest Honors:  3.9663 - 4.0
High Honors:  3.9191 - 3.9662
Honors:  3.8223 - 3.9190
(Pertains to students graduating in Spring 2021 through December 2021.)

To qualify for honors you must have completed at least 60 hours at The University of Texas at Austin and be in the top 20 percent of your Moody Communication graduating class.

Official University Honors will be posted to the transcript and diploma upon certification of all degree candidates.

The GPA required to graduate with University Honors is recomputed each May based on the top 20% of the May graduation class in the College following regulations listed in the Undergraduate Catalog. This same GPA applies to the following August and December graduation classes. The required minimum GPA may be higher than that listed in the catalog. For further information, please contact your academic advisor or consult the Graduation with University Honors section of the General Information Catalog.


Academic regalia are the traditional dress for degree candidates participating in college, school and department convocations, as well as the university-wide commencement ceremony.

Ordering and Purchasing Regalia

Academic regalia is available for purchase from the University Co-op. Information is available on the Graduation page of the University Co-op’s website or at the following Co-op location:

University Co-op
Graduation Department (main level)
2246 Guadalupe St.
Austin, TX 78705
800-255-1896 - Option 2

Tuition Rebate

You may be eligible for a tuition rebate of up to $1,000 if, at graduation, 1) you earned your degree within four years, 2) you are (and have been) a Texas resident, 3) you attempted no more than three semester hours beyond the minimum number of hours required for the degree, and 4) you paid tuition* out-of-pocket. There are many stipulations to this rule, so check with your advisor about the requirements and regulations that govern this rebate.

If you believe you qualify for this tuition rebate, please download the tuition rebate application, complete it, sign it (since UT is currently operating remotely, you may simply type in your signature), and email it using your official utexas email address to the Student Advising Office ( by the deadline, which is the official graduation date for the semester in which you will graduate. Processing of your tuition rebate application cannot begin until your degree has been conferred by the University and may take up to 2.5 months to complete.

*If you received tuition waivers or exemptions and did not pay tuition out-of-pocket, this will make you ineligible for the tuition rebate.  Your academic advisor will not know whether you paid tuition or received waivers/exemptions. If you have questions regarding your tuition rebate eligibility related to tuition waivers or exemptions, you should contact the Tuition Billing Department/Student Accounts Receivable Office at (512)475-7771.