Students seeking an internship offered by the Stan Richards School should follow the application process listed here.
Spring Internships: October 28, 2019 – January 24, 2020 at noon (CT)
for Communication, Communication Studies, Communication and Leadership, Journalism, Communication Sciences and Disorders, and Radio-TV-Film
1. Prerequisite Check. Log on to the internship application to enter the internship prerequisite checker. You may complete this step before you have secured an internship. The online system will immediately tell you whether or not you meet the course prerequisites.
2. Register. Once you pass the prerequisite checker, you will be shown instructions for how to register for the course. These instructions will also be emailed to you. Follow the instructions and register for the course during your registration time; you must also pay for the course by the tuition deadline. You may complete this step before you have secured an internship. (If you do not pass, but you are certain you are eligible, please contact your academic advisor.)
3. Secure an internship on your own.
4. Apply. Complete the online Internship Application.
5. Secure Approvals.
- The instructor for the course you wish to take will review your application and determine if it is suitable for academic credit.
- In addition, your internship supervisor will be contacted via email and asked to confirm (1) that you have been hired for an internship, and (2) that they meet the following requirements for hosting an intern, which have been approved by the University of Texas at Austin's Office for Legal Affairs.
You must track the status of both of these approvals by logging back on to your submitted application; you are responsible for ensuring that these approvals are granted before the deadline and following up when needed. Because you can track the status of your application yourself, the Moody College will not notify you via email when these approvals are recieved, nor will you receive a final approval/denial notification.
6. Prepare. Review the Professional Conduct, Proper Attire & Sexual Harassment Guidelines and the Department of Labor Fair Standards Act criteria for unpaid internships
7. Syllabus. Obtain the course syllabus from the instructor. Generally, this will be made available via Canvas.
Students who do not complete these steps by the posted deadline will be dropped from the internship course and will not receive academic credit for their internship.