Expected summer scholarship amount: $4,000
Expected fall scholarship amount: $4,000
Applications are due on March 31, 2023 at 12 p.m.
The goal of this endowment is to provide meaningful work experiences for aspiring outdoor journalists. Recipients will be selected annually to receive a stipend to help cover living expenses associated with an unpaid 10-week summer internship at an outdoor magazine or other publication. After the satisfactory completion of the internship, the recipient will receive a scholarship for the fall semester.
- The scholarship is open to undergraduate juniors, seniors in Journalism and graduate students in the professional Masters track who intend to pursue a career in outdoor writing or related areas.
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- First preference is for applicants who have an appreciation of recreational hunting or fishing as demonstrated in the application essay.
- Internships selected by the student must be approved by the School of Journalism before the student may receive the award. The internship may be taken for credit, but it is not required.
This scholarship will not be awarded based on need but rather on the strength of the student's interest in this area of journalism, potential for success, and meeting the other criteria. Brister Scholarship recipients must:
- produce at least one article of publishable quality during the internship.
- successfully complete a course in Environmental Journalism or an appropriate course in the Department of Geography or Biology before graduation.
- enroll in full-time hours in the Fall 2023 semester.
Eligibility will be verified before funds can be disbursed.