The purpose of the Communicating for Development and Philanthropy Minor is to prepare students for careers in philanthropy. Communicating in compelling ways about philanthropic causes to the appropriate audiences is critical to all aspects of philanthropic endeavors.
For students under the 2020-2022 Catalog
The minor requires 18 hours of coursework, including at least nine hours completed in residence and nine hours taken at the upper-division level. All courses must be taken for a letter grade, unless the course is only offered on the pass/fail basis. Only courses with a grade of C- or better (or CR for courses offered only on a pass/fail basis) will be counted. Moody students must apply for their minor/certificate before they have completed 65% of their degree requirements.
Students must fulfill the following requirements:
|CLD 330||Philanthropy Capstone|
|CMS 306M||Professional Communication Skills|
|CMS 321D||Communicating for Development and Philanthropy|
|Three hours from the following:|
|CMS 337||Building Sales Relationships|
|MKT 320F||Foundations of Marketing|
|MKT 337||Principles of Marketing|
|Three hours from the following list, focusing on communicating about social issues:|
|ADV/PR 320||Integrated Communication for Nonprofit Organizations|
|ADV/PR 322||Health Communication: Messages, Campaigns, and the Media|
|ADV/PR 323||Public Communication of Science and Technology|
|ADV/PR 324||Communicating Sustainability|
|ADV 336||Multicultural Issues in Advertising and Public Relations (any topic)|
|ADV 378||Advanced Studies in Advertising (Topic 37: Social Enterprise Branding)|
|CMS 332K||Theories of Persuasion|
|CMS 340K||Communication and Social Change|
|CMS 342K||Political Communication|
|CMS 340M||Social Media and Social Movement: Then and Now|
|J 358S||Communicating Social Change|
|RTF 301S||Social Activism in Film|
|RTF 323C||Screening Race|
|RTF 342||Topics in Global Media (Topic 8: Development Communication and Social Change)|
|SLH 378D||Quality of Life in Clinical Care|
|A 3-hr internship course with a focus on development or philanthropy (required)|
In addition, the following are University-wide rules regarding minors:
- The minor must be completed in conjunction with an undergraduate degree at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Minors must include a minimum of six hours of upper division coursework.
- A student may not earn a minor in the same field of study as his or her major.
- At least nine of the hours required for the minor must include coursework not used to satisfy the requirements of the student’s major; this includes courses in non-major departments that are cross-listed with courses offered within the student’s major department. However, courses in the minor may fulfill other degree requirements such as general education requirements or required elective hours.
- Transcript recognition is awarded at the time of undergraduate degree completion.
The minor is open to all undergraduate students at The University of Texas at Austin who have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Select "Communication" as the school
- Click "Search"
- Select "COMMUNICATING FOR DEVELOPMENT AND PHILANTHROPY" and apply!
The Communication for Development and Philanthropy Minor is open to all undergraduate students at The University of Texas at Austin in the 20-22 catalog who have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
Students in Moody College may declare only one minor and must apply for their minor/certificate before they have completed 65% of their degree requirements.