The Stan Richards School of Advertising & Public Relations has built its nationally-recognized reputation by teaching students principles rooted in both theory and practice taught by a faculty with a blend of professional and academic experience.
Advertising professor emeritus Dr. John Murphy is spearheading an initiative that brings real-world lessons into a digital sphere where they will live in perpetuity to help prepare generations of future advertising and public relations industry leaders.
“Stan Talks” debuts as an online video library featuring three- to five-minute lessons from luminaries and experts from clients, agencies, media shops, public relations firms and other specialists from across the marketing spectrum. Inspired by Stan Richards and modeled after the Ted Talks lecture series, Stan Talks includes concise video lessons from accomplished professionals.
The YouTube channel library is available free, online and is designed to provide a resource for faculty teaching and students studying advertising and public relations. In addition, the videos are designed to quickly migrate to the professional community.
“We want to stimulate students with insights from the best and brightest in our industry,” Murphy said.
Murphy, who retired from classroom teaching in 2015, developed a relationship with Stan Richards and the Richards Group through years of curriculum collaboration. Murphy’s classes worked with the Richards Group to match real-world clients with student-led campaign teams. The Richards Group, located in Dallas, is the largest independent brand-building shop in the nation. Clients include Cardinal Health, Dr Pepper Snapple Group, GameStop, The Home Depot, Motel 6, Orkin, Ram Trucks, The Salvation Army, Sub-Zero/Wolf and many others.
When Murphy suggested the concept of an online library, Stan Richards was immediately an enthusiastic supporter.
“The simple idea of collaboration between academia and industry leaders has the power to foster talent, equip students to make a mark in our business and produce the future leaders who will continue to drive significant change in the way we build strong, enduring brands,” Richards said.
With Stan Richards’ encouragement, Murphy began recruiting participants. Stan Talks includes a host of real-world insights, including the following videos:
- “Building the Peaceable Kingdom,” Stan Richards, founder and principal creative director, The Richards Group
- “Making the Work Better,” Lee Clow, chairman and global director, TBWA\Worldwide
- “Developing Strategic Advertising Insights,” Carol H. Williams, founder and owner, Carol H. Williams Advertising
- “Why Ethics?” Wally Snyder, executive director, Institute for Advertising Ethics
- “Advertising Today,” Keith Reinhard, chairman emeritus, DDB Worldwide
- “Artificial Intelligence,” Jamie Turner, CEO, 60 Second Marketer
- “21st Century Account Planning,” Jon Steel, global planning director, WPP Group
- “Right of Publicity,” Stu Friedel, partner, Davis & Gilbert LLP
- “Change, Grow, or Die,” Laura Desmond, founder, Eagle Vista Partners; former CEO, Starcom Mediavest Group
- “Crisis Communications in the Digital Age,” Jeff Hunt, founding partner, PulsePoint Group/ICF
The full library is available on YouTube and features 25 videos with more to be added regularly.
“Our contributors are luminaries,” Murphy said. “It’s been energizing, the whole experience of putting this project together.”