Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

UT Financial Aid

Students may use any federal, state, or institutional aid they would normally be awarded by the Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS), excluding work-study, to help pay for study abroad through The University of Texas at Austin. Financial aid awards can also be recalculated to cover increased costs associated with study abroad. Additionally, most private scholarships are applicable to study abroad - however, students must confirm that with the donor. Students not currently using financial aid who are interested in applying for it are encouraged to do so.


UT Study Abroad Office Directory of Study Abroad Scholarships

Global Assist -UT Study Abroad Scholarship Application System

College of Communication Scholarships
One application puts you in the running for a wide range of scholarships, all of which can be applied to UT study abroad.

Communication Scholarships on Facebook
"Like" us on Facebook to view updates on a wide variety of scholarships

Regional Foundation Library
Make an appointment with a librarian for assistance with scholarship/fellowship search/identification information. The RFL is open to everyone, free of charge.

Other external Scholarships, Grants and Fellowships

U.S. Fulbright Grants – Student Program for recent UT graduates (UT juniors are encouraged to apply) and UT Master's and doctoral candidates. You are eligible if you are a U.S. citizen, have a bachelor's degree by the beginning date of the grant, but will not have a doctorate degree, and are thinking of studying, assistant-teaching English, or conducting research abroad for nine months or more.

FEA Rainbow Scholarship (up to $5000)
Hosted and administered by the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA), the FEA Rainbow Scholarship will award up to $5000 to an LGBT student for study abroad.

Graduate Students

Graduate students participating in UT study abroad programs, or conducting independent research abroad, are eligible to apply for funding through the UT Global Assist system. Once students log in with their UT EID, they will be asked to provide a program code (generally supplied by the program coordinator). Students who are conducting independent research should use the following program code: 300999; students participating in a UT study abroad program can look up the program code on the UT Study Abroad search portal.

Graduate students are also encouraged to apply for fellowships available on the College of Communication Scholarship application.

The University of Texas Libraries provides access to a COS Funding Database that may be helpful to graduate students who are seeking international research support.