Internal Transfer Information
Students can apply to transfer to, or change majors within, Communication each February and September.
Beginning with students who will apply for internal transfer to the Moody College in September 2014: all non-Communication majors must attend an Internal Transfer Information session before they will be allowed to apply for transfer into the Moody College.
These applicants must attend an information session within one calendar year of beginning the internal transfer application. Current information session dates are listed on the right-hand sidebar of this page.
The Moody College of Communication's Internal Transfer Application is required for all UT Austin students (including those already within the Moody College of Communication) who wish to change their major to Advertising, Communication Studies, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Journalism, Public Relations or Radio-TV-Film, and for students who wish to add one of these majors to their current first major.
The University adopted several new rules regarding Internal Transfer, to go into effect Fall 2013. These policies affect UT Austin students who are not Communication majors at the time they apply for Internal Transfer.
- A student may apply only twice to change his/her major to the Moody College of Communication, and these attempts must be made within the student's first three long-semesters in residence at UT Austin.
- A student who has enrolled in four long-semesters or 60 hours in residence at UT Austin (whichever is first) is not eligible for internal transfer. A student who wishes an exception to this rule must petition to the Student Deans. The Deans must take the student’s ability to graduate in four years into account when reviewing the petition.
Applicants will be identified as a member of one of the following application review groups.
FAST-TRACK REVIEW: applicants who entered the University as Communication majors, and those who did not but have been Communication majors for a semester or longer (at time of application), do not need to provide an essay and resume. Note that due to overwhelming demand no RTF applicants will be considered Fast-Track Review applicants. (*see exception, below)
FULL REVIEW: all RTF applicants, applicants who are not Communication majors, and those who have been Communication majors for less than a semester, must submit a full application.
-All applicants must be enrolled at UT Austin at the time they apply for Internal Transfer.
- * Fast-Track exception: Students who have already earned an undergraduate degree from the College of Communication may not use the Internal Transfer application. Students who have graduated but wish to earn a second undergraduate Communication degree must first meet with one of the Student Deans.
All applicants must meet the following minimum standards in order to move forward to the Review Phase.
- Students applying to change their major must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the Moody College of Communication, and a minimum 2.25 overall UT GPA.
- Students who want to add a second major (or change their current second major) must have 30 hours in-residence and minimum UT and Communication GPAs of 2.75.
- Applicants must be enrolled at UT Austin during the semester in which they apply.
- Students who apply to the Advertising or PR major must have completed ADV 318J, "Introduction to Advertising", and earned a B or better by the end of the application semester.
- There are limits on the number of times a student may apply and when they must apply. Please review that information here.
All applications will be reviewed after final grades post for the semester.
FAST-TRACK REVIEW applicants who meet the minimum requirements listed above will be accepted.
FULL REVIEW applications will be reviewed by committee members and judged on several factors including: academic performance (both within and outside the Moody College), the number of courses taken in the requested major, the applicant's performance in those courses, strength of the essays and experience (as indicated on the resume). The number of these applications that are approved varies each semester and depends on the number of students the College graduates.
All applicants are notified of the committee's decision via email. These notifications typically are sent out in early June and early January (to allow time for the winter break). All decisions are final and may not be appealed.
All accepted students must then complete the following steps:
- Confirm the change/add major. Students must accept their new major by following the directions included in the acceptance email.
- Enroll in courses at UT Austin in the following semester
- Internal Transfer Orientation. All accepted students must complete an online orientation.
The next application will be available on September 1, 2014. All materials will be due by noon on September 30.
Spring 2014 Information Sessions
(Required for non-Communication applicants)
Non-Communication students must attend an information session before they will be allowed to apply for transfer into the Moody College of Communication, and before they may schedule an appointment with the Internal Transfer Advisor. These applicants must attend an information session within one calendar year of beginning the internal transfer application.
This schedule is subject to change. Check back regularly for updates.
All sessions are from 4:00 - 5:00 and will be held in BMC 5.208, unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, January 21
Wednesday, January 29
Thursday, February 6
Friday, February 14: 3:00 – 4:00 pm
Friday, March 7: 3:00 – 4:00 pm in BMC 2.106
Monday, March 24
Tuesday April 8
Wednesday, April 23
Xavier Oaks, Internal Transfer Advisor – Advising (by appointment only), information sessions.
Lauren Brown, Student Services Coordinator - Application problems and technical assistance.