Bachelor of Science in Advertising
The rules listed on this page are specific to the 2016-2018 catalog year. Rules for previous catalogs can be found on the degree checklists (below).
The Bachelor of Science in Advertising degree comprises 120 credit hours.
A specific combination of coursework in English, Government, American History, Math, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Fine Arts.
- A minimum of 36 and maximum of 42 hours of major-specific coursework as established by the department
- 12 hours of business courses including MKT 320F or 337
- SDS 306 (Statistics) -- satisfies the core curriculum math requirement. Must be taken in-residence at UT Austin
Moody College of Communication requirements
- Intermediate proficiency in a foreign language
- 6 hours of Communication courses outside your major
- 3 additional hours of English or Rhetoric (E, CRW or RHE)
- 3 hours Communication and Culture coursework
- Advertising students may not take more than 60 hours in the Moody College of Communication.
- Consent of the instructor is required for some upper-division Advertising courses.
- At least 24 hours of major-specific coursework must be upper-division.
Students should choose courses in the core curriculum and in the major requirements that also fulfill their major department's Flag requirements. The Flags required for the all degrees from Moody College are:
Writing: three courses required
- one must be outside of the core curriculum
- Cultural diversity in the United States: one course required
- Ethics and leadership: one course required
- Global cultures: one course required
- Independent inquiry: one course required
- Quantitative reasoning: one course required
- Bring a student's total hours to 120
- Electives frequently taken by Communication students
Students can also fill elective hours by:
|2014-2016 Catalog||2014-2016 Flow Chart|
|2012-2014 Catalog||2012-2014 Flow Chart|
|2010-2012 Catalog||2010-2012 Flow Chart|