Bachelor of Science in Advertising
The rules listed on this page are specific to the 2012-2014 catalog year. Rules for previous catalogs can be found on the degree checklists (below).
The Bachelor of Science in Advertising degree comprises 120 credit hours.
A specific combination of coursework in English, Government, American History, Math, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Fine Arts.
- A minimum of 36 and maximum of 42 hours of major-specific coursework as established by the department
- 12 hours of business courses including MKT 320F or 337
- SSC 306 (Statistics) -- satisfies the core curriculum math requirement. Must be taken in-residence at UT Austin
College of Communication requirements
- Second year proficiency or equivalent in a foreign language
- 6 hours of Communication courses outside your major
- 3 hours Communication and Culture coursework
- Advertising students many not take more than 48 hours in the College of Communication
- Consent of the instructor is required for some upper-division Advertising courses
- At least 24 hours of major-specific coursework must be upper-division
Students should choose courses in the core curriculum and in the major requirements that also fulfill their major department's Flag requirements. The Flags required for Advertising are:
- Writing: 2 courses required
- Bring a student's total hours to 120
- Electives frequently taken by Communication students
Students can also fill elective hours by