Moody College > Current Students > Undergraduate > Policies & Procedures > Taking a class pass/fail

Taking a class pass/fail

The grading status of a class may be set when you originally register for the class or once the semester is in progress. During the first 12 class days (four for summer), you can change a class to or from pass/fail via the online registration system. After this period, you can make the change by clicking on the button below.

    The deadline for changing a class to or from pass/fail is 5:00 pm (CT) on the University’s published deadline.

    The rules for taking classes pass/fail are as follows:

    • You must have completed 30 hours or more.
    • Only electives may be taken on a pass/fail basis. No course required for the degree (i.e.: science, foreign language) may be taken pass/fail.
    • If you are pursuing a minor, please consult the rules of your minor to determine if classes may be taken pass/fail.
    • Courses used to fulfill Flag requirements may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.
    • No course in the Moody College taken pass/fail may count toward a Moody College degree, unless it is offered only on the pass/fail basis.
    • No more than two (2) courses per semester may be taken on a pass/fail basis.

    • A maximum of 15 hours total may be taken pass/fail for degree credit.
    • If a class is taken pass/fail and a grade of F is assigned, the F will be averaged into the GPA.