Students are responsible for registering themselves each semester, including during new student orientation. The registration period for summer and fall generally occurs during the last two weeks of April; the registration period for spring generally occurs at the end of October and beginning of November. Consult the University Academic Calendar for specific dates. The course schedule is usually published approximately two weeks before registration begins.
Seniors and juniors usually register in the first week of registration, and sophomores and freshmen usually register in the second week. You can determine your specific registration times by consulting your Registration Information Sheet (RIS). Your RIS will also list any bars you may have on your UT record that may prevent you from registering for classes. You should check for registration bars prior to the start of registration every semester in order to ensure that you can register during your earliest possible access period.
Advising for Registration
Moody students don't need to wait until the course schedule is published before coming in for registration advising. Our advisors can meet with you to plan upcoming semesters any time after the first 12 class days of the current semester. You should schedule your registration advising appointment as early as possible, as your advisor's schedule will fill up quickly in the weeks leading up to, and during, registration. Advising is mandatory for some Moody students; your advisor will notify you if you are required to schedule an advising appointment.
If you are unable to meet with your advisor, you may consult your Interactive Degree Audit (IDA) for help in determining which courses you should register for.
- Click “Access IDA Now” button.
- Log in using your UT EID and password.
- On the left-hand menu, click on the link that reads “Audit Results”.
- Under the column that reads “Audit ID”, you should see a blue number. This is a link to your degree audit. You should click on the blue number link in the Audit Results column.
Some upper-division courses require that a student has a certain number of hours in order to enroll (upper-division standing). This information will be posted in the course description found in the course schedule.
University policy states that a student may register for a maximum of 17 hours in a long semester; 8 hours in each summer session; 14 hours over the entire summer.
Students who are registering for their final semester (or registering for spring when the immediate following summer will be their final semester) and need to register for more than the maximum number of hours allowed must meet with their academic advisor. Your advising appointment should occur before you register for classes and after the course schedule has been published. You should not submit a Maximum Number of Hours Petition as indicated below.
All other Moody students who wish to register for more than the maximum number of hours allowed must submit a Maximum Number of Hours Petition.
- The form is only accessible to students who have a valid academic advisor assignment in STAR.
- Access to the form opens the Monday following the two week period of early registration (this begins in late April and late October) and closes 3 business days before the first class day at 5:00 pm CT.
- You must indicate all of the courses for which you intend to register and provide an explanation for the request.