If you are a current Moody College student and want to change your major within the college, or if you want to add a second major in the Moody College, you must meet with your academic advisor to initiate this process. You may have this meeting at any point in the year (it does not need to occur during our regular Internal Transfer periods).
All students requesting a major change or major add must meet the following minimum eligibility requirements, however there are additional eligibility restrictions in place.
- Students who want to change their major must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the Moody College of Communication, and a minimum 2.25 overall UT GPA.
- Students who want to add a second major (or change their current second major) must have minimum UT and Communication GPAs of 2.75.
- Students who are requesting admittance into Advertising or Public Relations must have completed ADV 318J, "Introduction to Advertising and Integrated Brand Management", and earned a B or better.
- Students may not request a major that they were denied to during the Freshman or External Transfer admissions process.
- Students who were accepted to the Moody College as Internal Transfer students for the Fall 2016 semester or later are not eligible to change their Moody major or add a second Moody major.
There are restrictions for students who have completed more than 60 hours or 4 semesters in residence at UT Austin. These requests will be analyzed to determine what impact a major change may have on your four-year graduation progress. Please see your advisor for more information.