Moody College > Prospective Students > Internal Transfer > Internal Transfer - FAQ

Internal Transfer - FAQ

How to Transfer In

Student Advising Office: BMC 2.600 | M-F 8AM - 5PM, Closed 12 - 1PM 512.471.1553


When and where do I apply?

The application is available twice a year: from the first business day of February until the last business day of February (for summer/fall transfer), and the first business day of September until the last business day of September (for spring transfer).

You must attend an information session before you may gain access to the application.

During the application periods, the link to the application will be posted on the "Home" link above. Specific dates and deadlines will be posted in the Internal Transfer application.

What GPA do I need to earn in order to be accepted into the Moody College?

The minimums required for consideration are listed in the "Eligibility" page; however, meeting the minimum GPAs only makes you eligible for consideration. Most successful applicants will have GPAs higher than the minimum. A strong overall GPA and good perforamce in courses in your intended major increase your chances of being accepted into your desired major.

I have applied. When are decisions made and what do I do next?

If your application is denied, it is considered as one use of your two allowed attempts to apply. All decisions are final and may not be appealed.

If you are accepted, you must confirm your major change (directions are provided upon acceptance) and complete the online Internal Transfer Orientation module. You will then be able to see an academic advisor in your new major and add/drop courses in the new major, as available.

For applications submitted in September, decisions are made available in early January and the major change/addition will take effect once you have registered for Spring coursework.

For applications submitted in February, decisions are sent via email in late May. If you plan to take summer coursework at UT Austin, you will have the option to change your major for the summer. Otherwise, the major change/addition will take effect after UT's summer semester is completed, and once you register for Fall coursework.

Can I use this application to add a third major?

No. The University's student records system only allows for a student to officially pursue two majors at a time. If a student wants to earn additional degrees (beyond two), they must first complete or drop one of their current majors.

How many students are accepted into the Moody College?

It varies each semester and by major, based on the number of students that graduate from the College.

Can I apply to Advertising or Public Relations before I complete ADV318J?

Yes, if you are currently enrolled in the course in-residence, you are eligible to apply to add or transfer into the ADV or PR majors. You have two attempts to earn the B or better in the course. If you do not earn a B or better in-residence with the two allowed attempts, you must select another major to pursue.


Can I submit additional material to supplement my application?

No, supplemental materials such as resumes, essays, work samples, portfolios, or letters of recommendation will not be accepted or reviewed. Eligible applicants will be judged only on the criteria listed under the "How To Apply" link at the top of this page.


What classes can I take to prepare myself for transferring into the Moody College?

We also encourage students to start other taking classes in the Moody College as space allows. Please see this handout.


I am in my first year at UT Austin, can I apply to transfer to the Moody College?

The earliest that first-year students may apply to the Moody College is their second semester at UT Austin (accepted students will be admitted in their third long semester). UT Austin requires all students to stay in their original major during their first year. If you want to change your major, you should discuss that with your advisor in your current college during Orientation. If you need help exploring a different major, you will be allowed to transfer to the School of Undergraduate Studies during your first year.

I came into UT as a transfer student. Do the hours and semesters that I earned at my previous institution count toward the 4 semester/60 hour policies?

No. These rules only take into account hours and semesters completed in-residence at UT Austin. Anything that you earned at another institution, through UT Extension, placement tests, etc. will not be counted.

How will I know if I've used one of my two attempts to transfer into the Moody College?

At the time the Internal Transfer Application closes, any student with a complete application (the Internal Transfer Portal will display a message that your application is complete) has officially used one of his/her attempts. If you decide later to withdraw your application after the application period has closed, you may request to do so, but the attempt will still be counted toward the limit of two.

Any applications to transfer to the Moody College prior to September 2013 will not be counted against the two-attempt limit.

If I use my two attempts to apply to RTF and am not admitted either time, can I apply to Communication Studies (or another Communication major) later?

No. The University limits the number of times a student may apply to transfer into a new college. Any major that you apply to in the Moody College of Communication will count against your two attempts.

What if I am beyond 4 semesters or 60 hours, but I still want to transfer into the Moody College?

Exceptions to the University's policies on internal transfer are only made in very rare circumstances when a student exhibits compelling reasons for exception and when he/she can provide evidence that they are on track for a timely graduation. If you believe you meet these criteria and have attended an Internal Transfer Information Session, you may call the Student Advising front desk for more information. Students who successfully demonstrate exceptional circumstances may be considered for a major change for the following long semester.

I submitted a petition for an exception to the 4 semester/60 hour limit in a past semester, but I was not admitted. Can I submit a petition again?

No. Students can only attempt to be admitted via this petition process one time.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions?

Your first step is to attend an Internal Transfer Information Session. If you have questions after attending the session, you may call our front desk (512-471-1553) for further instructions.

I have already earned an undergraduate degree from the Moody College of Communication. Can I apply?

No, students who have already earned a degree from the Moody College cannot use the online application. The student deans will review these requests on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Student Services for more information.