University policies place restrictions on when you may apply to transfer to another college or add a second major.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
You are eligible to apply to transfer from another UT Austin college to the Moody College if:
- You are enrolled in your second, third, or fourth long-semester at UT Austin*; AND
- You will have no more than 60 hours of coursework completed in-residence at UT Austin by the end of the semester in which you are applying*; AND
- You have not already applied twice to transfer internally to the Moody College; AND
- You have attended an information session within one year prior to the day that you begin your internal transfer application.
- There are minimum GPAs required to be accepted (see below) but these GPAs are not required to apply.
- Students who apply to the Advertising or Public Relations major must also:
-complete ADV 318J, "Introduction to Advertising and Integrated Brand Management", and earn a B or better. You may be currently enrolled in the course at the time you apply.
-earn a C- or better in one of the following statistics courses: ADV 309R (applicants to Advertising) or PR 309 (applicants to Public Relations). You may be currently enrolled in the course at the time you apply.
*Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the University's eligibility limitations.
You are eligible to apply to add a second major in the Moody College, if:
- You will have at least 30 hours of coursework completed in-residence at UT Austin by the end of the semester in which you apply; AND
- You meet all of the other conditions above.
Note: applicants who are accepted into their requested major will not be allowed to change to a different Moody major, or add a second Moody major afterward, except by special permission of the Student Deans.
MINIMUM GPA AND COURSEWORK ELIGIBILITY
GPA and coursework eligibility are confirmed after grades post for the semester (in early January for September applications; in late May for February applications). If you do not meet the requirements at that time, your application will be denied. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Students who apply to change their major must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the Moody College of Communication, and a minimum 2.25 overall UT GPA.
- Students who apply to add a second major (or change their current second major) must have 30 hours in-residence and minimum UT and Communication GPAs of 2.75.
- Students who apply to the Advertising or Public Relations major must have completed ADV 318J, Introduction to Advertising and Integrated Brand Management, and earned a B or better; ADV 309R (applicants to Advertising) or PR 309 (applicants to Public Relations) and earned a C or better. You may be currently enrolled in these courses at the time you apply.
- All applicants must complete the semester in which they applied.
If you have already earned an undergraduate degree from the Moody College of Communication and want to return for an additional Communication degree, please attend an Information Session and then meet with the Internal Transfer Advisor. You may not use the online internal transfer application.