In order to apply for admission to the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy, you must first submit a $75.00 application fee, then fill out an online application including giving us access to your portfolio and other supporting materials.
I. Submit Application Fee
Complete the steps below to pay the application fee:
- Go to the Application Fee Processing page
- Enter your name, email address, and date of birth. We will use this information to match your payment with your application, so please enter accurate data.
- In the Quantity field, add 1. Click "Add to Cart." Click "Checkout."
- On the Cart Contents page, scroll down and in the Checkout Options section click the "Quick Checkout" button under the "Checkout as Guest" section. This will take you to a page to enter your billing and credit card information.
- When your payment is complete, you will be given an "order number.” Save or record this - you will need it to complete the application.
- Once your payment has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email. Look it over carefully to ensure all the information is correct. If you do not receive a confirmation email within an hour, it is possible your payment was declined or was incomplete.
- Proceed to the online Application
Note: Should you leave the payment page for any reason, you can return to it by clicking the "Gaming Academy" link on the left-hand side of the screen and then clicking the "Application Fee" link. If you need to return, click ONLY the Gaming Academy link - clicking anything else will take you to the wrong place and your application fee payment will not be valid and your application will be rejected.
II. Complete Application
Go to the online Application.
Fill in all of the fields, including your order number. The application will involve submitting personal information, past educational and employment experience, references, and a short explanation of why you want to attend the gaming academy.
As a part of your application you need to submit a portfolio (playable games with explanation of your role in their creation, original work, game design documents, etc) to make the case for your acceptance into the program. You will also submit a Statement of Purpose detailing your career goals, where you are now and what you think the Gaming Academy can do to help you achieve your goals. The portfolio and statement of purpose should be shared electronically.
References should be from people for whom you worked or with whom you studied who can speak to your leadership capabilities and/or your game development experience.
We STRONGLY prefer accessing these materials in a Dropbox folder, Box.com folder or other online cloud storage solution. Make sure we can access this folder! Do not point us at a URL until your statement of purpose and portfolio are online!
If your materials are too big to deliver electronically, or for whatever reason you want to send hardcopy, you can ship to the address below. Be sure to include a cover letter that includes your name, e-mail address, date of birth and application fee order number. We do not recommend sending hardcopy and will not return such materials.
Denius-Sams Gaming Academy
Moody College of Communication
300 West Dean Keeton Street, A0900
Austin, TX 78712-1069
As soon as we can (based on the number of applications and where you fall in the queue), we will acknowledge receipt of your application and alert you to errors or oversights, if any. Accepted applicants will be notified beginning in June 2014. Be patient.
Note: We reserve the right to request additional information and/or materials (e.g., school transcripts, proof of employment, etc.). Some applicants may be invited to participate in phone, Skype or in-person interviews.
Dates and Deadlines
August 27 First Day of Class
May 8, 2015 Last Day of Class